Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My name is Raef Chenery. For the last year I have been working at The Grapevine with Globalscope Thailand as their intern. My internship is nearly over and I was asked to share a few departing words about my time here. The following are some of my most memorable experiences in Thailand.


This is a picture taken at The Grapevine one night when we had four of our Thai students participate in a skit version of The Dating Game. It was a very funny night. One of the reasons I love this picture is because the three guys participating in this event are three of my closest friends here in Thailand: Milk, Bank, and Anas. I have spent a lot of time with each of them, and it is going to be very difficult to leave such good friendships behind. The Lord has done a lot in each of their lives.



This picture was taken last Christmas. I love this picture, just because it is a fun picture. I think we were at the airport dropping exchange students off to go home. That was my first Christmas away from home, and I was nervous that it was going to be very difficult. But the staff at Grapevine made me feel like Bangkok was my home, and the Thai students, being concerned for me, gave me extra attention during the holiday season. The holidays ended up being a time of great strength for many of my relationships here in Thailand, and I was grateful for every moment that I spent.


This picture was taken during a Thai holiday called SonKrong (That’s the best I can spell it with English letters). If you step outside, you risk being drenched in water and covered in a weird clay by anyone and everyone on the street. It was so much fun being part of the celebration. Unfortunately my wallet and keys got stolen. All the students came together though and helped me. In the end, a police officer had caught the thief and managed to return my stuff to me. If you don’t know about Bangkok, it is extremely unlikely that I would ever see my wallet again. The day was a blast though and another great opportunity to spend with students. Watching them come together to help me find my wallet was a blessing.

There’s much more I could say about a year with Grapevine, but I will close by just thanking God for every opportunity I have had to be a part of the ministry and the work God is doing through Grapevine in Thailand.

Labels: , ,